Friday, May 28, 2010

Kites

My mom bought Lennon this kite a couple months ago while visiting.
They tested it out in the backyard but there was never enough wind.
A week later the wind was so strong we headed to the park to try the kite again. Lennon took it, let it unwind completely, and never let go. It flew and flew and people stopped to stare. I was so amazed.
The next day my dad called because he'd heard about the kite. I retold the story to him and we chatted about Mother's day and how he'd picked the perfect gift for my mom this year.
He kept asking me, "So he just held on?! And never let go?! Wow, he is so brave!" and I agreed. We finished the conversation with him promising to call me on Mother's Day and me telling him I loved him.

That night my mom called and told me my dad had just passed away. He came home, sat on the couch, and passed away. My only thought was how that was impossible; I'd just talked to him on the phone. I replay that conversation in my head all day, everyday. I had no idea it would be our last.

So go fly a kite. And then tell someone about it.

5 comments:

Ryan Smart said...

I try and not read sad things because I'm a huge baby and I want my life to play out like a cartoon or children's movie. Your title tricked me and here I am all choked up. I know there's more after this life and I know all the right answers, but I just don't know how you say good bye to a parent or spouse. I think of you all often and hope you are coping well.

diana said...

Hi Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. You have been so sweet and supportive through my dad's illness and now you've had to go through this with your own daddy. I wish I could somehow return the gesture to you. But know that I'm thinking of you and Tommy and the rest of your family and that I love you.

Carol said...

This one caught me by surprise and I'm blurry eyed as I write this. What a neat memory and gift for all of you. You'll forever think of your dad every time you see a kite in the air ... "he's flyin' high and watching over all of you." :)

Love you, Holly girl.

Wilder Family said...

Holly- So sorry to hear about your dad. Hope you and your family are able to feel some peace at this time. Loved your post about the kite.

Meegan said...

that was borerline mean. You don't do that to a crier! I have a PILE of used kleenex in front of me now. I remember when my dad died. completely different situation. not one ending with a delicious happy memory. I wish I could say something magical and profound that would make everything perfect and whole. I know you have gobs of people that are just a phonecall away... but count me as one of those gobs! :)